The Chinese have a way of preparing vegetables and blanching the vegetables is one of the easiest and finest way of cooking it.
This recipe is suitable for vegans and omnis as well. It is a dish that most of us Chinese make as a quick and easy dish. I always make this
when I am short of time and mostly when I am not short of time! It is just so easy. Most of my dinner guests love it. It is also featured in the Friday Take Away meals, and it never fails to please.
So here is the secret to simple tasty vegetables.
I hope you like it.
Do not forget to make the garlic crisps and oil!
Let me know how it goes if you tried it.
Do like and subscribe should you find value in this post.
Easy Chinese Blanched Vegetable
- A pan
- 1-2 heads Firm/ crunchy lettuce like cos, romaine, liitle gem broccoli or bok choi is good too
- 2 tbsp Vegetarian stir fry sauce / oyster sauce
- 2 tsp Corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 3-4 tsp Garlic crisps and oil
- White pepper powder
- Sesame oil optional
- Bring a pot of water- enough to cover the vegetables, to a boil.
- Add in the washed and drained lettuce.
- Blanched for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, turning it thoroughly.
- Drain and set aside.
- Discard the blanching water
Make the sauce
- Add in 80 to 100 ml of water to the pan, depending on the amount of vegetables you have
- Add the vegetarian stir fried sauce or the oyster sauce. Stir to mix
- Mix the cornflour and the water together and set aside
- When the sauce solution comes to a boil, thicken it with the cornstarch solution.
- You may not need to use all of it.
- When the sauce is cooked, add in the vegetables to coat with the sauce.
- Switch off the fire.
- Continue to turn and coat the vegetables, then dish out to a serving dish.
- If the vegetables are long, you can cut it with a pair of scissors so it is easy to eat.
- Garnish with a swirl of light soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Drizzle the garlic crips and oil over and finish with a shake of white pepper powder.
- Serve with another protein dish to get a balanced meal.