I made this just to try it out as I have not made soda bread before. I cannot remember if I have tasted one. This shows that I do not eat a lot of bread.
I found this recipe when a friend of mine was trying to bake bread but could not get any yeast due to the lock-down. And when she ordered, one of her friends checked online and told her to buy yeast. She bought it and it turns out to be nutritional yeast!! So me being me and trying to be helpful, I suggested some recipes for her. This is one that I came across in twitter. It’s by Dr Chris Headleand @ChrisHeadlean. I have several recipe books on bread. But… I hardly use them. I must admit, I do make a good desk-top baker!
The recipe is easy to make and is it fantastic to do it if you have young children. It is fool proof. I have tried it a few times and each time it comes out good, except that I found out my oven heat is a bit low and I have to add in extra time. So now I know how to time and heat the oven properly.
Here are some photos. The recipe is below the photos. If you try the recipe please share your art-work in social media and tag me at [email protected], facebook [email protected] lassie, twitter @nyonyarecipe.
Easy Soda Bread
- Weighing Scale
- Baking Tray
- 200 g plain white flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 ml milk or plant milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice of vinegar
- 1 tbs melted butter or vegan butter
- Sesame seeds
- dried herbs like parsley or chives
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Combine all the wet ingredients together.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredient into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until it forms a ball. You can use your hands if you want.
- Tip the dough onto a well flour surface and gently knead a few times and shape into a ball.
- Place the dough on a well floured baking tray.
- Cut a deep cross so that the bread can bake evenly.
- If you are using herbs or sesame, sprinkle them on it now.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, depending on your oven. When done it should sound hollow when you tap it with your fingers.