I had tasted different versions of Vietnamese chicken before. But the one that I liked was while living in Subang Jaya was the one in the Vietnamese Restaurant in called – what else, Vietnamese Kitchen.
Here is my version.
Serves: 4-6 with rice and vegetables
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
500 g Chicken thigh or breast – diced 1 cm cube
1 Lemon grass – diced finely
1 Red chilli – finely diced
3 Cloves garlic finely sliced across
5 cm Ginger – sliced thinly 1cm by 1cm
1 Onion about 150g cut into 1cm by 1cm
1 Carrot about 150g cut into 1cm by 1cm slices
3 Spring Onions, stem part only, cut into 1cm slices,
1 tbsp Dark soy sauce
1 tbsp Light soy sauce
1 tbsp Fish sauce
1 tsp Sesame oil
½ – 1 tsp Sugar, or to taste
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
Salt & black pepper to taste
1-2 tsp Cornflour – mixed with some water for thickening
- Season the chicken with black pepper.
- Heat 2 tsp oil and brown the chicken. Dish out and set aside.
- Add in 1tsp of oil to the pan and fry the chilli, garlic, and ginger. Fry until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and all the ingredients except the spring onion and lemon grass
- Stir fry until fragrant and a bit dry. Add in the lemon grass and toss for 2 minutes.
- Add a splash of water if it is too dry
- Add the spring onion, and stir through. Add a few good shakes of black pepper.
- Adjust the taste.
- Thicken with 1 or 2 tsp of the corn starch mixture.
- Dish out and serve with rice