Peanut Cookies are a perennial favourite. Most families would make this for Chinese New Year. It is simple and uses 3 main ingredients – peanuts, sugar and flour. How long it takes you to make depends on the size of your cookies. The smaller the cookies, the longer time you take to roll the balls. The bigger the balls means you have less balls to roll, hence you can get it done quicker. So it depends on your preference. Last year I made mine quite small and it took longer and this year I made it bit bigger, not too big as it would not be dainty.
Makes about 60 to 70 pieces depending on the size ( I got about 65 pieces)
Time: about 2 hours
200g Peanuts, dry roasted, skinned and pounded
200g Plain flour, sifted
120-150ml Vegetable oil
200g Icing sugar
Salt A pinch
1 Egg yolk for egg wash
- Mix the peanuts all the ingredients together except the egg yolk.
- Put in enough oil so that It forms a crumbly dough.
- Form into marble sized balls. Lightly flatten the balls and makes design with small toothpaste top or other suitable apparatus.
- Top with egg wash.
- Bake at 180C, gas Mk 4 for 12- 15 mins.
- Cool and store in airtight tins.