This jam is ideal for making Pineapple Jam Tart, a favourite tart in Malaysia. This is not so suitable for spreading as it is quite dry. But it tastes good. I will share the recipe for the Pineapple Tart tomorrow (or so)
Makes: 1 ½ jar
Time: 1.5 hrs
500g Castor sugar or there about
5cm Cinnamon stick
3 pc Cloves
- Remove skin and eyes from the pineapple and cut into chunks – small enough to fit the inlet nozzle of the food processor. Grate the pineapple using the fine setting. Or you could grate it by hand
- Pour the grated pineapple into a sieve and let it drain for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the juice (you can chill it in the fridge and drink it later or make cocktails or mock tails out of it).
- Weigh out the pineapple pulp.
- You would need to use half the amount in weight for the sugar.
- Put the pulp, cinnamon and cloves in a deep pan or pot. Simmer it until it is dry.
- Add in the sugar and stir till it dissolve
- Leave to simmer for about 45 minutes, turning it often, until it is caramelised and golden brown in colour.
- Remove from fire and pack into sterilised jars.