This best crispy chicken wings is a heathier recipe than fried chicken wings.
It is oven baked. There are 5 top tips and a secret ingredient to make it crispy.
And with my favourite sauce… A tangy sauce.
The recipe is easy and tasty and we walloped 1 kg in 1 sitting, which is actually not a lot. So I made a 2nd batch. The 2nd batch wings have the wing tips, and, it resulted only like 10 pieces if the wings without the tips. The first round of wings, there 13 pieces. So it is more economical to buy the ones without wing tips, if it is available. But then, you need to check the price!
Since there were less wings, the wings did not touch when laid to dry and the end result was more crispy. Perhaps after the 1st round, I became more adapt at it. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
Do give it a try and let me know your results.
Do tag me in IG @mynyonyarecipe, twitter @nyonyarecipe I would love to hear from you here.
Feel free to ask any questions.
Best Crispy Chicken Wings Recipe /Oven Baked And a secret ingredient!
- Baking sheet with baking rack
- Aluminium foil
- Mixing bowl
- 1 kg Chicken wings
- 2 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Coarse salt /kosher salt
- ½ tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder optional
- 4 tbsp Ketchup / tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar or to taste
- ½ tbsp White vinegar or rice vinegar
- ½ tsp Salt or to taste
- 2 tsp Corn flour
- 125 ml Water ½ cup
- Lettuce etc
- Other sauces of your choice
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and place the tray on it.
- Cut the chicken wings into 2 pieces, to get a mid-wing and a drumette.
- Dry the wings with paper towels
- In a bowl mix all the wing ingredients and massage it nicely and make sure the wings are covered with the flavourings.
- Arrange the wings on the rack in single layer. If it touches, it is ok, but do not overlap. You might need to have more than I rack/tray.
- Leave it in the fridge to dry for at least 8 hours or overnight, uncovered.
- Check at least once, and dap off any water that accumulates on the wings with paper towels
- About 1–2 hours before serving, remove from the fridge and bake in a preheated oven at 230C for 20 minutes.
- Remove and turn the wings and put in in for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn it once or twice to get even browning.
- When the wings are crispy and brown, remove from the oven and let it cool a bit.
- It can be served as it is or with some sauces of your choice.
Make the sauce
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a jug
- Microwave for 4 minutes, checking it half way. (Adjust the timing as all ovens differ)
- Put some chicken wings in a bowl and add in some of the sauce.
- Mix to coat the wings.
- Place in a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions (scallions)
- Serve with the vegetable sticks (crudites).