I was thinking about making something quick, simple and easy to store, or pack for lunch. I bought 2 boxes of eggs a few days ago, and I decided to make low calorie egg muffins. It is just muffins without added fat or flour. So it is basically an omelette. Or, if you want to sound more ‘in the know’, and more sophisticated, you can call this mini frittata.
I had the odds and ends in the fridge:- courgettes, peppers, and some god-forsaking cherry tomatoes. In fact all the ingredients are from the fridge or the store cupboard. This time, I got all the proportions right in the first go.
It is delicious and I had it with a salad and some butternut squash mash. All part of my filling and healthy diet.
Here is the recipe.
Serves: 4 or 5 with accompaniments
Time: 15 mins to prepare and about 25 minutes to cook
1 Medium courgette
1 Red pepper
1 Green pepper
1 Yellow pepper
1 Onion ( about 150g)
1 Handful Cherry tomatoes – halved
1 tbsp. Mixed herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil and oregano
½ bunch Parsley –chopped
100ml Semi-skimmed milk
Salt and pepper
Grated cheese ( optional)
1 12 muffin pan
12 paper cups
Calorie controlled spray.
- Heat the oven to Gas Mk 5 or 190C.
- Cut all the vegetables into 1 cm cubes.
- In a pan, spray with calorie controlled spray and add in the onions. Stir fry for a few minutes until soft.
- Add in the rest of the herbs and vegetables in batches and cook over medium heat until lightly coloured.
- Season with generously with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley. Then turn off the fire
- Crack the eggs in a mixing jug. Add in the milk. Beat with a fork until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Line the muffin pan with the paper cups. Lightly spray the cups with oil.
- Divide the vegetables equally between the cups.
- Gently pour the egg mixture into the cups, pouring a small dollop each into each cup and moving to the next. Make sure the egg mixture doesn’t run out of the cup as it will make the muffin stick to the pan. It is easier to pour over 3 rounds.
- When done, top with some cheese if you are using.
- Place it in the middle rack of the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve with a salad and mash or chips or rice.