Breakfast is always a challenge when one is watching one’s weight. I am not a great fan of cereal, but I do have it now as it is low in calories. Or rather some of the cereals are. Muesli can be very high in calories as well as sugar. So one needs to be mindful, and read the labels carefully.
I am more of a savoury person and cooked hot breakfast is great. Where I come from, we have quite heavy breakfast. It could be noodles soup, fried noodles, or ‘nasi lemak’ or coconut rice with eggs and chicken and condiments. Porridge is a favourite as well. I have posted the recipe for porridge earlier. This breakfast is high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
This recipe is really simple and easy. Instead of normal bread, I use open cap mushroom as the ‘toast’ to give it a different twist and to save on calories, hence a lower pro-point. It is delicious as well and you can add an extra slice of premium bacon for an extra point. Here is the recipe for one serving. This is great as I can just make it for myself or for others as well.
Here is the recipe.
Time: 10 mins to prep and cook
Pro points: Per serving: 2
1 large Open cap mushroom, or two small ones
2 medium Eggs
Low calorie controlled spray
Salt and pepper
Salad to garnish
- Wipe the mushroom with a damp tissue. There is no need to cut off the stem as this will help to make the scrambled egg ‘heap’ on the mushroom.
- Place it on a baking sheet and spray with cooking oil.
- Place in a medium grill and grill it for about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the mushroom over and grill the other side spaying lightly with oil, for another 4-5 minutes.
- While the mushroom is grilling, prepare the scrambled eggs.
- Break the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix it up.
- Lightly spray a frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add the eggs and stir it until the eggs thicken, and is nicely scrambled.
- Take the mushroom and place it on a serving plate. Top it with the scrambled eggs and garnish with some vegetables or salad.
- Serve with your favourite sauce or with baked beans (extra pro-points).
- If you use bacon, grill the bacon when you are grilling the mushroom.