This dish is a result of all the food that I used to have in restaurants in Malaysia. The original dish has lots of Chinese herbs as well as red dates. I remember this dish distinctively as I had a lovely version of this in Pedu Lake Resort in Kedah. We were there when we had a couple from UK who came to visit us. The girls were toddlers at that time and we had a lovely week in the resort. The resort was beautiful and the service was first class.I have not added and Traditional Chinese herbs as I am not very fond nor well versed in it. The dates itself imparts its lovely flavour and taste to the stew. It is easy to make and not expensive. My children like it. Here is my recipe.
Stewed Chicken with Dried Shiitake Mushrooms and Red
Serves: 4 – 6 with rice and accompaniments
Time: 30 minutes to prepare and cook
extra time to marinade
500g Chicken thighs ( skinless and boneless if you prefer
10 Red dates – stoned
2cm Knob ginger, scrapped and julienned
2 cloves Garlic- chopped
1 handful Dried Shiitake Mushrooms – soaked in warm water for 20 mins, and squeezed dry
2 Spring Onions – cut to 2 cm length.
1 Tbsp Cooking oil
2 Tbsp Oyster sauce
1 Tbsp Light soy sauce
1 tsp Dark soy sauce
½ tsp Sesame oil
2 Tbsp Cooking wine or rice wine
Pinch of sugar
White pepper powder
Ingredients: chicken, mushrooms, ginger, spring onions
- Cut the chicken thighs into fairly large pieces (as for stew).
- Set aside to marinade for about 1 hour, or, if possible overnight.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pot or wok or a clay pot if you have.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and stir until it colours.
- Add in the chicken and stir fry until it changes colour.
- Add in the Shiitake Mushrooms and the dates.
- Add in about 400ml of hot water ( only just cover the chicken) and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Add a bit of water if it gets a bit dry. The consistency should be like a stew.
- Add a few dashes of white pepper powder and season with a little light soy sauce of sugar if necessary.
- Thicken with the corn starch mixture.
- Add in the spring onions, give it a stir and dish up, add a dash of pepper powder and serve.