Sambal Serai Prawns or Creamy Prawns with lemongrass, cashew nuts & coconut milk is not a common dish Nyonya dish. This is what I know.
It looks like I do not know a lot!
This easy prawn recipe has lemon grass, cashew nuts and coconut milk. . It is also known as sambal seral udang or creamy lemongrass sambal prawns. This dish is not hot. Fresh chillies are used for garnishing.
I first come across this dish in a Melaka Nyonya restaurant. I love it so much that I recreate it at home. As my family did not cook it, I was a bit intrigued and did some research. I found out that Penang has its version as well.
I modify the recipe a bit in the sense that I chop the lemongrass instead of pounding it as I prefer the bursts of flavour when one bites on the bits.
Here is my version. I hope you like it.
Do give it a try and let me know how it goes or tag me at IG @mynyonyarecipe.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for more visual instructions of my recipes.
All likes and subscribes are greatly appreciated.
Sambal Serai Prawns / Creamy Prawns with lemongrass, cashew nuts & coconut milk
- Wok or frying pan
- 80 g Raw cashew nuts dry roasted
- 75 ml Cooking oil
- 4 cloves Garlic – thinly sliced or 15g
- 5 Shallots - thinly sliced or 50g
- 2 Lemongrass – fat part only chopped
- 1 tsp Belacan or shrimp paste or 5 g
- 1 tsp Tamarind pulp or 5 g
- 300 g Medium sized prawns shelled and deveined or 250g frozen peeled raw prawns thawed
- 125 ml Thick coconut milk fresh from ½ coconut, or canned
- 2 tsp Sugar or to taste or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 Red chilli - chopped
- 1 Green chilli - chopped
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Mix the tamarind with the coconut milk, squeezing out the pulp. Set aside.
- Fry the garlic slices till golden brown and crisp. Dish out and set aside
- Fry the shallot the same way and dish out and set aside
- Using the same remaining oil, fry the chopped lemongrass and belacan until fragrant. Break it into small pieces.
- Strain the coconut and tamarind mixture into the wok.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add in the prawns and stir to cook.
- Add in half of the fried garlic and shallots.
- Mix and dish up.
- Sprinkle with the remaining garlic and shallots, cashews and chopped chillies.
- Serve with rice and a vegetable accompaniment.
Here is the recipe:
Easy Chinese blanched vegetable