Pan Fried Mustard Honey Mustard Chicken
The idea for this recipe came out of seeing many ready prepared meals- chicken with honey and mustard sauce or seasoning. So I decided to try this out. I pan fried the chicken fillets instead of baking the chicken (usually thighs, as in ready meals). It turned out quick and tasty. I served it with rice and blanched vegetables. So it is a bit of East and West.
I used golden syrup as I ran out of honey. Furthermore, I had this almost empty bottle of golden syrup with a few table spoons clinging to the bottom. I have placed the bottle upside-down so that the last bit will flow out easily. It has been sitting on the kitchen counter for several weeks. It’s time to get rid of it so that the kitchen is not so cluttered.
For the mustard, I intended to use grainy mustard, but as usual I did not have it on hand, so I used the bottle of English mustard that has been sitting in the fridge for some time now. Grainy English mustard will give a different flavour as well as gives the gravy a grainy look.
So LOVE FOOD AND HATE WASTE at work again.
Here is the recipe
Time: 10 mins to prepare, 15 mins to cook
extra time to marinade
500g Chicken mini fillets
2 tbsp English Mustard
2 tbsp Honey or golden syrup
2 cloves Garlic – smashed
1 tsp Salt
1 clove Garlic – chopped
Salt, White pepper and sugar to taste
200ml Hot water
1 tsp Corn flour mixed with 1 tbsp Water
- Marinade the chicken with the marinade seasoning for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or wok and spray with calorie-control spray.
- When the pan is hot, add in the chicken fillet one at a time and arrange them in a single layer and fry them for about 2-3 mins on one side until lightly browned.
- Flip over the other side and fry for another 2-3 mins until it is cooked.
- Remove and set aside in a warm oven.
- Deglaze the pan with the hot water. Add in the remaining marinade and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 1 -2 minutes until the sauce is reduced a bit. Season with extra honey, pepper and salt.
- Thicken the sauce with corn-starch mixture.
- Divide the chicken into 4 plates and serve with rice and vegetables of your choice.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and serve.
- Dig in!